Fourth of July Recipes/Meal Ideas
The fourth of July is such a wonderful time to get together with family and friends! It is the summer holiday filled with family, fun, friends, and food. If you’re hosting though, it could be a bit of a stressful time! But don’t worry, we have compiled a list of healthy recipes for you to try this fourth of July!
40 cherry tomatoes, cut in half (80 cherry tomatoes if using a small variety)
20 fresh Italian basil leaves, torn or cut in half
1 ball fresh mozzarella, cut into 40 small cubes
Balsamic vinegar, for serving
- To make the skewers on each toothpick, skewer one half of a cherry tomato, one half a leaf of Italian basil, and one cube fresh mozzarella, and finish it with another half a cherry tomato. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Just before serving, drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Grilled Guacamole with Roasted Corn and Basil
2 ears corn
3 small or 2 large Hass avocados, halved and pitted
½ red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of 2 lemons
Juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 teaspoons salt
Pepper to taste
1 bunch basil, chopped
- Bring grill to medium heat. When grill is heated, lightly oil grates. Grill corn until cooked and charred on all sides, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Grill avocado halve 5 minutes until nice grill marks appear, but avocado still holds its shape. Remove from heat.
- Scoop avocado flesh into a large bowl. Add red onion, garlic, lemon and lime juice, and jalapeno. Mash with a fork until combined but still chunky. Remove kernels from corn cobs and add to mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add basil and stir to combine.
2 heads of broccoli
½ cup thinly sliced almonds, toasted
⅓ cup dried cranberries
½ small red onion, finely chopped
½ cup buttermilk, well shaken
⅓ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Trim broccoli and cut it into large chunks. From here, chop the broccoli into smaller pieces.
- Toss the sliced broccoli with the almonds, cranberries and red onion in a large bowl. Meanwhile, whisk the dressing ingredients in a smaller one, with a good pinch of salt and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the broccoli and toss it well. Season well with salt and pepper to taste.
Sun Gold Tomato Caprese Salad
3 cups halved sun gold cherry tomatoes
1 cup halved young cherokee purple tomatoes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 ounces small fresh mozzarella balls
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients except basil in a large bowl; toss gently. Top with basil.
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Coleslaw
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 tablespoon chili powder
¾ cup finely chopped red onion
¾ cup unsalted tomato sauce
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 ½ tablespoons sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 cups packaged cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
1 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon chili powder. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; let stand 5 minutes. shred chicken into large pieces with 2 forks.
- While chicken cooks, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add remaining 2 teaspoons chili powder, tomato sauce, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. stir in chicken; keep warm.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 1/4 cup onion, remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and coleslaw. top bottom halves of buns evenly with chicken mixture, slaw, and top halves of buns, or serve slaw on the side.
2 pounds chicken breast
2 cups 7-Up
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup soy sauce
- Use a plastic container or plastic bag to marinate the chicken. These measurements are just estimates for the marinade. Make sure the chicken is covered. However, the marinade is two parts 7-up to one part vegetable oil and one part soy sauce. Poke the chicken a few times with a fork before marinating.
- Marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Grill chicken until cooked all the way through.
Star-spangled Fruit Gelatin Cups
¼ cup blueberries
¼ cup raspberries
1 3-ounce package of BaKol Jel Dessert (raspberry or strawberry flavor)
2 cups boiling water
Optional: ¼ cup whipped cream
- Fill a 12-count muffin tin evenly with berries
- In a heat-proof bowl, stir together content of BaKol Jel Dessert and boiling water until the powder has completely dissolved
- Pour gel mixture over berries, being careful not to come to close to the top
- Let set in the fridge for at least 6 hours. Top with 1 teaspoon whipped cream.
Triple Melon Cream Pops
2 cups cubed seedless watermelon
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 dashes kosher salt
2 cups cubed honeydew melon
2 cups cubed cantaloupe melon
16 craft sticks
- Process watermelon, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoons yogurt, 1 teaspoon juice, and 1 dash salt in a blender until smooth. Pour into a pitcher; rinse blender. Repeat with honeydew; the same amounts of sugar, yogurt, juice, and salt; and a separate pitcher. Repeat with cantaloupe; remaining sugar, yogurt, juice, and salt; and a third pitcher.
- Fill bottom third of 16 ice-pop molds with watermelon mixture. Freeze 2 hours or until solid. Fill middle third of molds with honeydew mixture. Freeze 1 hour or until surface is frozen. Insert craft sticks in molds through honeydew layer; freeze 1 hour or until solid. Fill top third with cantaloupe mixture. Freeze until solid.